The OSU Student Union Art Collection
The Oklahoma State University Student Union is home to a diverse and historic collection of art. Displaying artwork and curating exhibits is one way the Student Union fulfills its mission to enrich the intellectual, cultural and social well-being of the OSU student and campus community.
Some of the highlights from the collection include:
· Paintings from former OSU art faculty members including Ella Jack, B.J. Smith, Dale McKinney and J. Jay McVicker.
· A landscape painting by Doel Reed, OSU faculty member for 35 years and an internationally recognized artist.
· A sketch of Dick Tracy dedicated to the Student Union and signed by the cartoonist, Chester Gould, an OSU alumnus.
· Ten Asian artworks, one of which is an embroidered landscape dedicated to the Student Union and donated by the Chinese Student Association.
· Winning artworks from the annual Student Union Juried Exhibition.
· Approximately 20 Native American pieces that include works by artists Woody Big Bow, A. Whiteman, Bunky Echo-Hawk and Chris Tiger.
The Sequoyah Room is home to a significant collection of original paintings by Woodrow Wilson “Woody” Big Bow. Born in Carnegie, Oklahoma in 1914, Big Bow was a grandson of a Kiowa chief. Big Bow led a prolific career, designing sets for western films, producing murals nationwide, and eventually creating the red and yellow Thunderbird insignia for Oklahoma’s famed Forty-fifth Infantry Division. Big Bow settled in Yukon before his death in 1998. His work can still be viewed in museums across the nation. To learn more about Woody Big Bow, click HERE.
Beyond the permanent collection, the Union also is home to the Student Union Gallery. This space is located in the basement and features exhibitions year-round by OSU students, alumni and visiting artists. In this space, students learn how to install exhibitions as well as collaborate with professional artists such as Scott Kolbo, Bob Snead and Sara Schenckloth. The Student Union gallery has given OSU alumni such as Cassie Pickens, Jason Wallace, Scout Marshall and Mireille Damicone the opportunity to reconnect with the university through solo exhibitions.
The OSU Student Union is always an ally for the arts and a supportive collaborator with the OSU Museum of art and the OSU Department of Art.
2017-2018 Exhibition Schedule
Summer Art Exhibition: featuring current OSU students - May 25 through September 1
Doel Reed - September 6 through 28
Michelle Holman: OSU graduate and professional artist - October 2 through 30
A Celebration of Non-Traditional Students - November 1 through 24 - Opening Reception November 1st, 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Bachelor of Art Capstone - December 4 through 16
ART IN THE UNION RESOURCES
If you wish to be featured as a visiting artist in the Student Union Orange Wall Gallery, please contact Brandon Mitts for scheduling email@example.com